Saturday, August 28, 2010

"The List"

Well School has begun and it's time to get all the things on those back to school lists. A "Free" education is non-existant today. Teachers are spending much of their own money to keep their classroom running. There is so much technology, so many resources, but no funds to purchase these items. Please be kind to teachers and donate throughout the year. They are under paid for what they do. I would know I am/was a teacher. I have taught second grade for 3 years and before that I worked with disadvantaged kids in an after school program for about 6 years. I have seen what teachers need and how much they put into their classroom. I have been there. I have spent hundreds of dollars on my own classroom. I have also had some amazing parents volunteer to bring in anything that they noticed I needed or things they thought I could use. If parents and teachers work together we can give our kids the education they need to be successful in life. Here is a list of things teachers need throughout the year. It's also great if parents, or anyone can volunteer some time in the classroom, or at home. I loved it when a parent would come up and take a stack of papers home to correct. A little bit of help goes a long way.

The List
Games - for rainy day or educating I used games to teach many concepts. It helps kids remember what they have learned and it makes them want to learn more because it's fun.
Books
scissors
rulers
Curriculum supplies examples magnets, animal pictures bulletin board supplies talk to the teacher about what they need or look at your states curriculum to know where to start.

Year long needs

Paper towels
Hand sanitizer
Ziplock bags - I used gallon and sandwich, sometimes even snack size was handy
Science experiment supplies (talk to the teacher)
PENCILS, PENCILS, PENCIlS - somehow they always disappear, and there are never enough
Paper- white and colored
Dry erase markers
crayons
paint??
glue!!

Be aware of other classroom needs. These are the basics that any teacher will need, others will need more. Ask the teacher what they need frequently throughout the year and be aware of items they need for parties and rewards.
If you are able it is nice to volunteer extra supplies for kids who can't afford to purchase these items.

No comments:

Post a Comment