Friday, November 26, 2010

Fun Brain - The Grammar Gorillas

Fun brain is a site with many educational games for kids. It is a free site so doesn't have any bells and whistles.
The Grammar Gorillas asks kids to determine which part of speech a word is. I like that it has a beginner level and an advanced level. I also like that it asks them to find the part of speech in a sentence, not in a list of words. This way kids can see how the words are used in the 10 sentences they are given. Some words can be a noun when used one way, and a verb when used another. It makes them think a little bit harder and asks them to use their vocabulary knowledge as well as their part of speech knowledge. I also like that it has a list of helps so if you forget what a preposition or conjunction is you have the definition and examples right under where the question is.
I don't like the fact that the questions are so small and that there is really no positive feed back other than a number on a scoreboard. Kids will become board with this game quickly unless they are working toward some carrot. This is an easy fix. Parents have to provide the carrot by saying "If you get ________ questions right, then you can play ________." (for my son the carrot is a game of his choice on the internet for 15 to 20 minutes.) Make sure it is something they like. The other problem I see is the child picks the level. My son is FAMOUS for picking the easiest level that he has already mastered because it is easy and he doesn't have to think. This is why I have the computer in the kitchen and why computer time is when I am cooking or doing dishes. I'm also not a fan of the ads on the page, but that is how they make the games free.

Beginner Level

Wrong Answer -
I like that it teaches them what they did wrong up in the left corner. I just don't think that many kids will notice this unless someone points it out to them the first time it happens.

After they have answered the 10 questions they receive this certificate.

I recommend the beginner level for 1st and 2nd graders and the advanced level for 3rd and 4th graders. This game would be a great review game for 5th and 6th graders.

No comments:

Post a Comment