Monday, January 24, 2011

Primary Games- 50 States Game

My son has recently become interested in learning about the states and their names, so I set off to the internet to find him a game to help him meet this goal. We have a leapfrog book that got him interested but the system needed to use that book doesn’t work. I found this 50 states game on primarygames.com. I will say that so far I’m not impressed with this game. As soon as I got into the game it took me straight to an ad about toilet paper. Um, last time I checked it was kids playing these games, not the adults purchasing things like toilet paper. I understand the need for sites to have ads, this is how they make money to create the games and keep the site free. I just wish they would make them kids friendly ads, like ads for pillow pets, or the latest and greatest toy. I know they are obnoxious but I would rather have my children bugging me about that where I could use it as a teaching moment than having them see some ad that doesn’t apply to them or could lead them to clicking on other sites and taking them where they shouldn’t be going. I will now get off my soapbox and tell you about this game.


This 50 states game requires some prior knowledge about the geography of the United States. You are given a map of the country and a state and told to place it in the correct location.




Once you put the state in the proper location it gives you a point.



If you make a mistake it then shows you where the state should be and tells you how far off you were.



I also like that it gives you the average error miles. This can spark a discussion about what the average is and why it keeps changing. It would also be fun to start a family challenge by seeing who can get the lowest error mile average.


I recommend this game for second semester (3rd term) 4th graders, 5th, and 6th grade.


No comments:

Post a Comment