Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Making Rain

Hurray Summer is finally here. Don't let the summer pass you by. There are so many activities that you can do with your kids while they are home to fill their time so they don't get the "I'm bored" syndrome.
My kids are just getting old enough to do Science experiments with me. We love "Messy Projects."
Here's our first one.


I got this out of a book I have called "Science is..." by Susan Bosak. She walks you through simple science experiments step by step and gives you some things to discover as you go along.
We decided to do Making Rain




We started with a hot plate
A jar
2 ice cubes
a metal pie plate
and water



Turn on the hot plate - BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO GET BURNED
Put the jar of water on the hot plate and the plate with ice cubes on top.
This is the beginning of the water cycle. The hot plate is like the sun heating up the water on the earth. The ice cubes are like the cold clouds.
Watch the steam rise inside the jar as the water heats up

and slowly rain will appear.

The Science is... book has close to 500 pages of experiments and will definitely keep "I'm bored" out of your summer vocabulary.


No comments:

Post a Comment