Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Kidz page - What's your decimal point?

I found this site, The Kidz page, today as I was searching for other fun games for kids, specifically art related games. They had a math section with a game called What's you decimal point? At first I was thinking it was a great game because it asks kids to place the decimal point in the correct location based on the number they read. A wonderful game for 5th and 6th graders.

I did find that one of the questions is worded wrong, which concerns me. The question says "Place the decimal for the number such that the number is one hundred and twenty thousand, four hundred and thirteen, and four tenths." Kids are taught at a young age that we don't say and unless there is a decimal point so this number would look like this 100.2o4oo.13.4, which doesn't work.

The solution is simple. It needs to say one hundred twenty thousand, four hundred thirteen, and four tenths. They want you to write 120,413.4. I also played the game a couple of times and the questions are all the same, they just change the order of the 5 questions, the game is easy to beat.

The other problem I saw was the ad's. There is on ad on another page that I found to be inappropriate for my children. It's called "Design your wedding dress." It's a picture of a cartoon girl in her underwear. I personally don't think this a good ad on a sight for children. When you click on the ad it takes you to My top free games where you can design a wedding dress. I'm not a huge fan of the ad and would check before my child played anything on this site to make sure it wasn't there before they got to play. This is also a site I wouldn't leave the room to just let my kids play because there are so many ads that could lead them to sites I don't want them on.

If you have a better option for a decimal game I would take it and would probably skip over playing this game. It is appropriate for 5th and 6th grade students.

No comments:

Post a Comment