Monday, January 31, 2011

Planets

So today's post isn't about a website, it's about a movie I just watched. I was searching Netflix for something entertaining and educational to watch/listen to as I cleaned the kitchen and made some much needed brownies. I stumbled on a Nova documentary about Pluto and why it is now an ex-planet. I like many people (mostly 3rd graders as the movie says) don't understand why Scientists decided that Pluto was no longer a planet so when I saw this movie I decided to take a look.

Kids learn about the planets in a couple of grades. 3rd and 6th for Utah curriculum. This documentary talks about all the planets but mostly pluto and why it is no longer a planet. I found it very fascinating, helpful and informational. The narrator is the director for the Natural History Museum in New York. He speaks to many scientists about why and how the decision was made to no longer call Pluto a planet. I found the vocabulary pretty simple and the movie entertaining. I would recommend this movie for 6th graders.

Here's the link to watch the full episode. (about 53 minutes long)

Here are some for younger kids

Schoolhouse rock has a video called Interplanet Janet. This is an upbeat song that tells about the sun and each of the planets, including pluto. The graphics are a little old but it still teaches what it needs to.

** This link is from youtube. ALWAYS watch the whole video when on youtube. I have watched a couple where people have posted very inappropriate things in the middle of the video. Make sure you watch it before your kids do. I did watch this video and it's safe.


The Magic School Bus also did a show called "The Magic School Bus Gets Lost" I really like the Magic School Bus series. They show science facts in an educational and entertaining way. If you want kids to learn something you need to make it fun. Well if you want anyone to learn something you should make it fun.

I wasn't able to find the full video on youtube, but I did find it in 2 parts. One is about 12 minutes, the other almost 15.



I recommend these cartoons for any grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment