Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Birthdays

Did you know that it is now a Utah law that you can't use sweets (candy, cupcakes, brownies yummy) in Utah classrooms? Most teachers don't really follow this rule. Some still reward their students with candy. When I was first told that I couldn't use food in my classroom without getting the parents to sign a note I was nervous. I didn't use food too much. Well except for my Super way cool Hersey bar fraction bar demonstration. I'll have to tell you about that some day. It worked VERY well!!
I survived. I used other rewards with my students. They survived. We teach our kids to be healthy then feed them junk. Now I am not against junk food. My kids get their fair share (and sneak more from their secret stashes then I know about). As I have said before all things in moderation. Too much of a good this is still too much.
I have thought of a few different ways you can celebrate your child's birthday without using food in the classroom. Last year I had a parent pay for an assembly for the whole second grade. She asked me what we were learning about, found something that correlated and set it all up.
The kids loved it. We happened to be learning about animals at the time so she contacted a group called scales and tails that brought in snakes, lizards, and other reptiles. It was so neat. This can become pretty expensive but if a room mom got all the parents together, everyone could spend what they would normally spend on cupcakes for everyone and the kid would get a wonderful learning experience.
You could also come in and teach something for the class. Teach them a neat art project, about a far off place that you have been too, donate a game or book to the class, or teach them a fun game to get them moving. There are many other things that you could do to celebrate your child's birthday at school. Just be creative. If you need more ideas let me know and I will do some research and see what I can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment