Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Public vs. Charter Schools

I have hear about this debate each time a new charter school opens, or when a new school year begins. I thought I would put in my 2 cents. I have worked for a school district and for 2 different charter schools.


Differences


Content - what is taught. The public schools follow the state standards. IF the teacher has time they can throw in something else like a dinosaur unit, art, extra Science. This is a big IF. Most teachers don't have extra time because they are trying to just finish what the state requires, and help catch up those that have missed something along the way. Charter schools have a speciality like Spanish, Art and Music, Core Knowledge, Science, or something else. This means that they put special emphasis on that subject and teach more of it. So instead of the teacher coming up with other things to teach when they have finished the state curriculum the charter tells you what you will teach, and generally it is emphasized through out the year. Teachers have to be more creative with their time and combine subjects. For example I had my students draw a picture of their animal in the appropriate habitat. They had to use their best drawing and coloring skills and it had to be accurate, not just a monkey living in the desert. This was an art and science lesson.


Volunteering - Charter schools require a certain amount of volunteer hours each school year. This is generally on a per family basis not per child. Parents can volunteer either from home or by coming into the classroom. Public schools ask for help but don't require it. This can be a good thing or a bad thing. From the teacher's perspective I have had parents coming in my classroom and telling me how to do my job. That is frustrating. It was also a nice thing because I knew that all of my parents needed to complete 30 hours of service to the school, so I could ask any of them for help. Most of the time they were ready to jump. I was able to have parents come in and read with kids giving them the one-on-one time they needed to succeed. If I didn’t have those volunteers they wouldn’t have gotten that. From a parent's perspective - I like to be involved in what my children are learning. I also like to know the teachers so when my child comes home with a wild story about how their teacher called them dumb I know the teacher's personality and will know wether it was in fun, or intentional. (I have heard stories of this happening believe it or not.) I once knew a teacher that said I won't believe everything I hear at school, if you won't believe everything you hear at home.


Distance - Charter schools are usually a lot farther away from your house then the public school.


Similarities


Kids - You will still get a mix of good kids, and bad kids, smart kids and kids that need extra help.

Teachers - You will still get good teachers that you love, and teacher you would rather not have.

Administration - You will still get an administration that is either great to work with or horrible to work with.


So the decision really comes down to what you think is best for your child and what you want them to learn so they will have the tools they need to succeed in life. I have horror stories from each school I worked at. Remember that was 1 public school and 2 charter schools.


The biggest problem I am seeing with the charter school movement is a division between parents. Some parents think their child is "better" then those that go to regular school. I have even had a parent call me a traitor because I had decided to teach at a charter school instead of the public school. Having seen both sides of the debate I don't know what I will choose for my kids. It depends on the child. Who knows maybe all 3 will go to different schools that fit their needs or maybe all 3 will go to the local school by my house. An education is what you make of it. Others play a big role in that, but it's still up to you and your child. Just remember you will encounter the same girl fights, mean kids, name calling, ect. no matter where your kids go to school.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting - I'd heard of charter schools, but never knew the difference.

    ReplyDelete