Monday, September 27, 2010

Parts of Speech

Nouns, Verbs, Pronouns, Adjectives
Can you remember and define each of these or do you run to the internet each time your child comes home with an assignment where they have to locate these in a sentence?
I wanted a fun way to teach parts of speech so I searched the internet and found some fun ways.
First of all I love to use Mad libs.
Mad libs can be done either on-line or on paper. When kids understand (usually late 2nd grade, early 3rd grade). I like to give them a passage from their Reading book or from an encyclopedia and have them create their own mad libs for their friends.
Here's one that I made up.
You always make a list of the parts of speech first. It's not as much fun to fill in the blank with something that makes sense. It's more fun to make crazy sentences.
Noun __________
Temperature __________
Verb ___________
Adjective __________
Adjective _____________
Direction _____________
Verb _______________
Noun ______________
Fill these in first. Don't cheat! Then scroll down to the passage and fill in your answers for a funny mad lib.








You make _____1_____ on ______2______ days without even knowing it. When you ________3______out warm, _______4____ air, it _____5_____
in front of you and briefly ______6_____ a little _______7_______.

Here's the real passage. I got this from my "Science Is" book that is full of fun science experiments.

You make clouds on cold days without even knowing it. When you breathe out warm, moist air, it cools in front of you and briefly forms a little "cloud".


Here are some sites that I found that have mad libs. I have not checked all the mad libs on these sites so make sure you do these with your child so you can make sure they are age appropriate.
http://www.eduplace.com/tales/ - I really like this site. They have a huge variety of age appropriate mad libs and the kids have to do all the thinking.
http://www.madglibs.com/showglib.php?glibid=187 - This one is better for older kids. Parent caution needed!
http://www.funbrain.com/brain/ReadingBrain/ReadingBrain.html - This site gives you a list of words that fit the part of speech or you can type in an answer.
Printable Mad libs - These would be lots of fun to do on long car trips

You can also purchase mad lib books from scholastic book orders. They have one or a packet or 5 for pretty cheep. This is how I got mine. I don't let my kids write in them. We do them on another piece of paper or use a dry erase marker and small whiteboard. We then share them with our family.


No comments:

Post a Comment