Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Poems

Poems can be a fun way to practice handwriting. I once had a one of my professors tell me that we should never have kids practice their handwriting and have them create something on their own. I agree. It is too difficult for them to think about what to write and how to write. I have some great writing tips from a Spalding course that I took that I will post as soon as I find them. They are safe in a file somewhere.
I really like Grandpa Tucker's poems. They are fun to read. Most have jokes toward the end and many have to do with topics that the kids are learning about. The best part is they are free. I see that you can now purchase them in a book from amazon as well.

I like this poem. It would be fun to have your kids practice the "Best handwriting" with this poem then give it to their teacher to say thanks for all they are doing.

You can find this poem and more like it at http://www.grandpatucker.com/

A Thank You Hiss

Sammy Snake says, "No one's so dear
As a dedicated volunteer.
The ones who come to school each day,
Who work for love and not for pay.

They do so many different tasks,
Most anything our teacher asks.
Like help us write and cut and stuff
And then in math when it gets tough!

They help us do the bulletin board,
A smile from us is their reward.
For they do know, for goodness sake,
It's hard to be a student snake.

We hand them homework every day.
They type and file our things away.
Then sort the mail for everyone
To take back home when day is done.

We're glad they're here, they're really great!
We little snakes appreciate
The ones who spend their time like this.
We hope they like our thank you hissss."

-Grandpa Tucker
Copyright ©2000 by Bob Tucker



Sammy


No comments:

Post a Comment